top of page

Trip to Camden Fort Meagher

We had a very interesting fact finding mission to Cork this weekend. We visited Camden Fort Meagher and Cork City Gaol Heritage Centre to get ideas for what can be achieved at Sligo Gaol.

The earliest fortifications date to around 1550 at Camden, it served as a British military fort until 1938. In 1989 Cork County Council took over the site and in 2010 the Rescue Camden volunteers began their work restoring the fort.

Through their efforts the fort opened to the public in 2013 as a very successful visitor centre. Thank you to our wonderful guide and friend Gary Heslin for showing us this amazing fort. It is an astounding example of what can be achieved and what great potential Sligo Gaol has in Sligo.

See for more details

Camden Fort

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page